The Practice of the Presence of God

Posted by Pink is God's | 5:49 PM | 3 comments »

I'm reading this book by brother Lawrence right now. I don't know why I've never read it, it is a classic. But so far a couple of quotes have struck me:
"Brother Lawrence insisted that, to be constantly aware of God's presencs, it is necessary to form the habit of continually talking with Him throughout each day."
and...
"When he was troubled by something, he seldom consulted anyone about it. Knowing only that God was present, he walked in the light of faith and was content just to lose himself in God's love no matter what happened. There, in God's love, he would find himself again."
It is weird hearing someone talk like this. But the more I'm reading the more I'm convinced that relying completely on the presence of God in my life is the way I must do things. This is what the men of God in the Bible were so great at, dwelling in the presence of God.

3 comments

  1. Irun Man // June 26, 2008 at 7:14 PM  

    Isn't it odd to think of all the things we've done in God's presence and not thought about Him being there? Maybe I'm just speaking for myself here, but I'm embarrassed and ashamed of many of those things. When we talk about all people being sinners I'm right up there on that list. Think of the inner peace and calm life we'd all lead if we always remembered that we're in God's presence and that he will look out for us and meet our needs. I believe I've met some older men who dwell in God's presence, but it's a rare thing to meet a younger person (under 60) who fits this criteria.

  2. Coby // June 26, 2008 at 9:39 PM  

    I've heard good things about this book. That's another one I'll have to put on the need-to-read list.

  3. Learn to SOAR with Growden // July 3, 2008 at 3:24 PM  

    Yes...Pastor Pink...I couldn't agree with you more. I really love that book.

    In regards to your last comments to me...I also think F.F. Bruce rocks. I just found out this week that I'll be speaking at a rally in Tyler soon and they've asked me to speak on Lord, Liar or Lunatic. I bet your familiar with that argument.

    Hey by the way...if you get time tell me what you think about this conference I'm coordinating (good or bad). I sure would appreciate it. www.soarconference.com

    Later