1, 2, 3, 4...

Posted by Pink is God's | 8:29 PM | 1 comments »

I think Lucas has asked me this question probably, oh, let's say, 45 times. Usually when we are in the car driving somewhere Lucas says at some point, "Dad, can you count to 1000?" I usually say, "Bubba, that would take to long, but yes I can count to a thousand." Well tonight Lucas asked me again when he and I were driving alone back from Muncie. I thought what I always think and was about to answer him with the same old answer that he had become used to when I thought, "have I ever counted to 1000?" To that question I had to answer no. So tonight, for the first time in my life, I counted to 1000 out loud while my son sat very quietly and listened and occasionally made an awestruck sound. It took almost the entire drive but I made it around the time we were driving past Monroe Central Elementary.
You know what Lucas had to say when I was finished? "Dad, can you count to infinity?" To this I laughed and said, "No." And then he said, "Maybe when you get older?" Then we had a very basic theological conversation about the number infinity.
Sometimes I get so used to saying no. Why? Especially to my kids. They enjoy simple things. Lucas loves me and I love him. Why did I wait so long to count to 1000 for him. It wasn't hard, except for one time when I got in the 700s and thought I lost my place, that was almost a big bummer. I think I'm going to take some time with my kids when they ask me for something like this to love them by giving them something they ask for even if it seems silly, foolish, time consuming, or simple.
Oh, by the way, when was the last time you counted to 1000?

1 comments

  1. Derek Chalfant // October 25, 2007 at 10:11 AM  

    I don't think I could do it for fear of my mind wondering around 4 or 500. Did Lucas say them with you?