Actually I knew I was wrong about the time that it came out of my mouth, or at least had a really good idea I was wrong. Last night we were talking about Ezra reading the law to a group of Israelites after they rebuilt Jerusalem's walls. It's found in Nehemiah 7-8 in case you were curious. I was talking about how this group of people stood for 5-6 hours and listened to Ezra read most likely the entire Pentateuch. I then said that millions of people were standing and listening to this being read. I thought in my head, wait this was only a portion of the Israelites that had come back at this point, it wasn't all of them. Well after further review Nehemiah 7:66 talks about there being 42,360 people there for this event. Still amazing! Basically a filled RCA Dome listening for 5-6 hours of the Bible being read. There were other times in the Old Testament where the entire nation of Israel stood and litened to the entire Law being read, just not this time. Two to three million people.

Actually my point to the students last night was that the least we could do is spend 5 minutes a day in the Bible. Many people used to stand and listen for 5-6 hours and considered it an honor and a form of worship. How is your time with God coming?

8 comments

  1. Tonya // February 18, 2008 at 5:55 PM  

    I don't like to revel in someone else's mistakes, but it is nice to hear that even you quote scripture wrong sometimes. It makes me feel like it's okay that I don't know all the facts of a story in the Bible by heart! It's good to know I'm not the only one who messes up scripture on occasion. Thanks sweetie!

  2. Kris Sorensen // February 18, 2008 at 7:21 PM  

    James,

    I hate it when I mess up too. The worst feeling is when you discover you screwed something up in front of the whole congregation about a half hour after everyone has left - you just want to call everybody back to church and say, "Remember that thing I said? I'm an idiot and I got my facts wrong."

    I'm sure your students will show you grace - I've had to receive it plenty of times.

  3. Coby // February 18, 2008 at 7:34 PM  

    the point was still the same. i'm positive the students got it even if you made a small mistake. and yes, i do hate it when i'm a pastor and i make a mistake with scripture... wait....

  4. Tucker // February 18, 2008 at 8:47 PM  

    Hey James,
    As a pastor one of the things that scared me was Bible Trivia when it first came out. Of course everyone expects the pastor to get every question. I had to play it once and I was really sweating the questions. I got a couple easy ones and then believe it or not there was a question about a verse I knew real well. I answered the question and they told me I was wrong. I knew I wasn't on that question so we looked it up and I was right and the game was wrong!
    Man, I was lookin' good right then and so I reveled in that for a minute and thanked God for that question and then I made an excuse to get out of there and I NEVER played Bible Trivia again.
    It's Bible TRIVIA that means it is little known facts but folks still the think the pastor, of course, knows or should know every answer!

  5. Keym // February 22, 2008 at 8:48 PM  

    If it makes you feel any better I didn't realize you were wrong until you pointed it out!

  6. God'sProp777 // February 25, 2008 at 3:34 PM  

    James, I don't know if you know it but your challenges about spending time with God daily has really motivated me to keep it going. I've not been consistent. It's funny that I push Bible study off, yet when I do it things in my life become so much clearer. Or I find I use what I've learned the exact day I read it. Keep it up bro! Love ya, man!

  7. Tucker // February 29, 2008 at 10:23 PM  

    Wow James, it has been a long long time between posts. What? You make a mistake and then you just take your ball and go home? :-{)>
    Oh, I get it you are reading all those books that people told you about and you don't have time.
    Anyway I miss your rants and I hope you are doing well. Sheldon

  8. Coby // March 3, 2008 at 6:56 PM  

    what is this madness? it's been two weeks, dude!