Prayer: What do you think of?

Posted by Pink is God's | 7:22 PM | 6 comments »

Okay, I want you to dig deep and tell me what words come to your mind when you think of the word prayer. I'm using this as my research for my next youth talks so help a brother out. Just tell me the first thoughts that come to your mind. Or tell me what feelings prayer emotes, well maybe that's the wrong word to use, to emote means to express exagerated emotion. What deep down feeling do you have about prayer that you don't normally talk about. We are all human. Some of my feelings are: "What if I've sinned recently, why would God want to listen?", "I am so small and I don't have big enough words to be talking to God.", "I just don't remember to, I suck!", "If God wants to talk maybe He should start!", "Why should I pray for that, I'm not God and can't change anything?". Maybe it's all positive like, "God gives me peace when I pray.", "I am in constant prayer with God!", "It took me some time but I feel like I have a real relationship with God because of prayer.".
Anyway there are some examples of what I'm talking about, maybe it's a phrase or just a word. Please tell me what you think.

6 comments

  1. Kate // July 1, 2008 at 3:42 AM  

    Humility is the word that comes to mind when I think of prayer. You have to realize that you're not in control and you need God's help. By the way, just started a blog - maybe it will be enjoyable :)

  2. Anonymous // July 3, 2008 at 6:42 AM  

    I get to! Prayer for me is conversation with God. I get to take alllll my stuff, the good, the bad and the ugly and talk to God about it. Everytime that I do, I immediately feel a sense of relief, peace and anticipation on watching how God is going to work all things out for my good, because I love Him and know He is the source to life.

  3. bryan vickery // July 3, 2008 at 10:26 AM  

    The Lord's Prayer.

    My best prayer time ever came during a four month stretch when I prayed the Lord's Prayer each time. I'd pray one line, and then rephrase it in language that was significant to me.

    Just opening with "Father in heaven, hallowed be thy name" puts me and God in our proper places. Humility is the right word.

    The word reverence comes to mind as well.

  4. Coby // July 4, 2008 at 3:10 PM  

    I think of connection and fellowship when I think of prayer.

  5. Tonya // July 5, 2008 at 6:29 AM  

    Prayer lately for me has been a struggle. I feel like God isn't getting 100% of my heart and so talking to Him in prayer just seems disconnected. Recently I had some time at Pastor's Short Course to spend some time in solitare with God and I believe I am slowly getting back to the intimate prayer time I used to have.

  6. Anonymous // July 5, 2008 at 1:33 PM  

    To me Prayer is my 24/7 Direct Line To the Divine! Talking to God much of the day is like having my very best friend with me 24/7 -- kinda like a combo of Superman and Jiminy Cricket -- in fact I wrote about that in a free special report you can get at http://www.worldprayerproject.com. I can't imagine my life without prayer PERIOD. : ) GO GOD! : )