Coaching 101

Posted by Pink is God's | 8:59 PM | 3 comments »

Coaching is not a job for the meek. There really is one thing that above all is important in coaching, and no it's not knowledge, although that helps. Confidence is what separates lousy coaches from great coaches. Don't get me wrong it's important to know the sport you're coaching, but you can have all the knowledge in the world and if you don't have confidence your team will go no where.
I'm going through a weak time right now, when it comes to my coaching and leadership ability. I'm finding that I keep second guessing myself about everything. It's starting to affect my confidence which isn't good. Luckily I have this blog to help me think this through.
What people yearn for in a leader is to believe. What I mean is if you have the right kind of confidence, not arrogant or proud, people will believe in you, and start to believe in themselves. Eventually this turns into a group of people who will believe that they can accomplish what they never have accomplished before. This should be the goal of any coach, to begin to accomplish things that were never thought possible.
This doesn't mean that we should look at winning as everything. Occasionally there will be teams that will win every game they play but not accomplish what there goal should have been, something beyond winning. Following this line it is possible that a team that loses every game accomplishes something that it never had accomplished before, and I do mean something positive that feeds confidence.
Generally speaking working smart is the key to confidence. When the coach works smart it builds his or her confidence and that confidence feeds into the other coaches and players of that team. Which causes them to work hard to carry out the mission. To work smart means to use your time effectively and get as much out of your time as possible. You will also get as much work out of your players when you work smart during practices. Have a plan.
So there you have it, the two things I would say make up coaching 101: Confidence and Working Smart.

3 comments

  1. Irun Man // July 14, 2008 at 9:55 PM  

    I like the way you thought your dilemma through. Or should I say, "mosied" through it? From my observations, the best coaches consistently do three things:
    1. motivate their athletes;
    2. have a well thought out plan;
    3. inspire their athletes to reach for their dreams and attempt the unthinkable.
    Some coaches are better at certain aspects of coaching than others. I think I'm pretty good at inspiring and planning, but sometimes faulter when it comes to motivating while training. It's still a work in progress, but then, that's probably how it should be. :-] Good luck Lucien!

  2. Irun Man // July 14, 2008 at 10:00 PM  

    Errr,... I guess that would be "Julien," not Lucien. I liked the accent you were using yesterday, kinda Ricky Ricardo-ish. I enjoyed your "victory" celebration afer you scored the goal on PK!

  3. Unknown // July 15, 2008 at 11:35 AM  

    Vicki here--I think you are a great leader and the kids flocking to youth prove that. You just try to spread yourself too thin and expect too much of yourself--relax and enjoy the ride. Just as we teach our kids--as long as you give it your best shot that is fine with me.