Homosexuality: The Flawed Belief

Posted by Pink is God's | 3:29 PM | 7 comments »

I've been wondering recently what to do about the growing sense that homosexuality is just something the world should accept. I've also been wondering what to believe, myself, about the way God would want me to respond to the growing pressures of this sin. The Bible is clear about homosexuality being a sin and the fact that God hates it:
"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God." 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
I like the next verse though:
"Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God." v. 11
I like the statement that people have been in sin, including homosexuality, and now they have been "washed". Some of the people in this church Paul was writing to were homosexual and they repented (teshuva) to God and were washed.
Here is another section of scripture:
"But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrused." 1 Timothy 1:9-11
Some will say that these verses lump a lot of things in and that you can't talk about one without talking about the others. The simple fact of the matter is there is not one thing in these verses that I would want in my life. Are there any of these things that anyone would ever try to make me feel good about except homosexuality. There's the trap, we are starting to be fed that homosexuality is just another way of life, it is not, it is a sin and it is lumped in with, lying, perjury, kidnapping, murder, killing your father and mother, fornicating, idolatry, stealing, adultry, alcoholism, and coveting. Actually I have misspoken earlier, recently adultry and coveting have been praised and looked highly upon, take for instance Desperate Housewives, one show that makes both adultry and coveting look glamorous.
The key words in the 1 Corinthians passage are "do not be deceived". We are being deceived if we think that adultry, coveting, or homosexuality are not sins and should be considered the norm for our society. Quotes like "we live in a different culture", "they lived in a differnt culture", "truth is relative", or "God has changed His mind about the subject" can only be considered being deceived.
So what do I do now? How do I approach the subject of homosexuality in a society that is growing ever more deceived. This is a tough call. Society as a whole would typically look negatively at kidnapping, murder, stealing, even still adultry and alcoholism. It isn't a problem calling these things wrong, negative, or even a sin. The problem begins with our outlook on homosexuality when people start saying it is just the choice of the individual and if it feels right to them they should be able to live that "alternative lifestyle". Homosexuality is difficult to stand up against because society isn't willing to label it as wrong although there are many that are uncomfortable with it. That discomfort is the remnant of God's image in people.
When it comes to my role as a Christian in the world I should be a light and a lover of God. This means that I should be able to call a sin a sin and let the Holy Spirit work through me to love any person on earth. Murderers, theives, idolaters, alcoholics, homosexuals, etc. should all be loved by people who claim Christ. Loving people includes pointing them to God and away from sin. I will not be popular to many. I will be someone who loves regardless if I am popular. I will believe God's Word, even if that makes me unpopular. I will be someone who loves regardless if I am popular. At least I will try.

7 comments

  1. Derek Chalfant // July 7, 2008 at 6:49 PM  

    I have people on both sides of the family who are homosexuals and unfortunately the numbers are growing, one of them is even a daughter of a minister. I don't agree one bit with it but I still love them and care for them nonetheless, you know love the sinner hate the sin. One of my favorite things to tell them or anybody for that matter is that if God intended us to be homosexuals don't you think it would have been Adam and Steve instead of Adam and Eve?

  2. von // July 7, 2008 at 7:03 PM  

    amen, pink

  3. Sue // July 7, 2008 at 7:19 PM  

    Thank you for taking a clear cut stand against the sin that God calls an abomination. As Derek said, HATE the sin, LOVE the sinner.
    Unfortunately, it is becoming more and more politically incorrect to profess to be a Christian. We are seen to the secular world as being intolerant. Quoting Oprah, "There HAS to be more than one way to
    God!" This is what the enemy would have the unsaved world believe and he is winning that particular battle. I just have to believe it is all part of God's plan and these things ARE going to occur in the last days. Our government is falling right in line, IMHO... I just have to remind myself that God is in complete control of the situation.

  4. Tommy Phelps // July 7, 2008 at 7:19 PM  

    Only one thing I can say Pink. Amen!

  5. Anonymous // July 8, 2008 at 5:30 AM  

    What a well written and well thought out message.
    Thanks,Pink--once again it proves that is worth finding out just what "Pink Thinks"!

  6. Sue // July 8, 2008 at 3:30 PM  

    Pastor Pink,
    Jim wanted me to post this for him (he is a one handed typist)

    You wrote this: "Quotes like "we live in a different culture", "they lived in a different culture...".

    Jim says to this way of thinking, it doesn't matter what the time is you live in...if you live in the word of GOD, it is a sin and we should all be living in the word.

    He wants to thank you for posting this.

  7. Keym // July 8, 2008 at 9:27 PM  

    I just wonder why I can not be this clever when I am put on the spot about homosexuality