Chipping: Golf's Greatest Divider

Posted by Pink is God's | 5:59 PM | 4 comments »

You want to know the biggest difference between myself and a golfer as great as Tiger Woods? Chipping. I think I have always known this but I just finally admitted it to myself today while I was on the practice green.
I know many of you have never watched golf on television but let me tell you what happens when Tiger or just about any other professional golfter gets to within 45 yards of the green, well, um, they chip it to within about 2-5 feet of the hole. You know what I do? I hit it to within 5-30 feet. Let me just tell tell you what the difference is between those two: Well considering I hit only about 5 greens a round that means I'm chipping a lot. So I miss 13 greens, which means I'm chipping thirteen times. If, on average, I am still 10 feet away I'm probably two putting which means that I probably will have at least 10 more strokes than the pros in a round, just because of my chipping!
Tiger Woods hit 71% of all the greens he went at last year, but when he missed he chipped to within about 3 feet. Consider me only hitting about 20% of all of the greens I go at, I then chip to within 7 feet on average, at best, and then I two putt. Oh, did I mention Tiger hits about every club 100 yards farther than I do. That helps him a little as well.
There it is, I am doomed on the golf course!

4 comments

  1. Kris Sorensen // June 24, 2008 at 6:43 PM  

    I'm glad you finally can admit it... that's the first step in recovery :-)

  2. Pink is God's // June 24, 2008 at 6:56 PM  

    There is no recovery!

  3. bryan vickery // June 24, 2008 at 8:30 PM  

    survey says... putting

  4. Irun Man // June 26, 2008 at 6:59 PM  

    Miniature or adventure golf is my fav. I've only played 9 holes of actual golf 3 or 4 times. The best I've ever done is a 79 (for nine holes.) I don't have the patience to practice this sport. When I'm on a golf course I'd rather be running on the fareways and greens than swinging a club. Glad you could admit your weakness. I'm sure Confucious has some motivational or insightful saying about that, but I don't know any. Do you think he played golf? :P