Baseball Cards from Afar

Posted by Pink is God's | 5:29 PM | 4 comments »

Sometimes I wonder how incredibly rich I would be if I would've kept all of the sports cards I collected as a child. Don't get me wrong I have several boxes worth, but for the most part they're worthless. Why? Because I got rid of all of the great cards by trading them away. You know those great stories of people finding a $20,000 Mickey Mantle card in a box that their dad left in the attic, well that will never be my kids story.



Just recently my sister found a bunch of magic cards that her husband left in storage and gave them to me to see what I could get for them. I took them into a card shop in Escondido and they ended up being pretty valuable. I made a trade of my own getting my favorite baseball card set of all time, the 1985 Topps set. The one that was most revered by my friends and I. It has the Roger Clemens Rookie, Mark McGwire olympic card rookie, a Kirby Puckett rookie, and many other cards I love. For good measure in the trade I talked the owner into throwing in a 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey RC card, this was and remains my favorite card of all time.



My kids may have a story to tell after all!

4 comments

  1. bryan vickery // August 29, 2007 at 3:00 PM  

    my father-in-law, who knows nothing about sports and doesn't care, recently scrounged up some old ball cards as well. he threw them on the table and said, "are any of these worth anything?" i looked through them and came across a few athletes you may have heard of:

    Dan Fouts
    Roger Staubach
    Willie Mays

    ...and a bunch of other guys who are so old I've only heard their names a few times.

  2. Pink is God's // August 29, 2007 at 6:15 PM  

    Can I have them? Please?

  3. bryan vickery // August 29, 2007 at 7:25 PM  

    haha... that would be a "negatory"

  4. Kris Sorensen // August 29, 2007 at 7:38 PM  

    Bryan if you won't give them to James - would you give them to me?