Iphone = $

Posted by Pink is God's | 6:30 PM | 6 comments »


A few months ago my wife broke her phone. Little did I know that this event in time would lead to a financial windfall with a plan so ingenious you will not believe your eyes while you read this blog.

You see tomorrow I will be purchasing an Iphone with the blessing of my wife and my budget. Here's how it's all gonna work out. New Cell phones, if you've ever had to buy one without a discount, are very expensive, usually between $200-$300. I have been pricing PDAs because with my new job I need something mobile that can keep me organized. Today I walked into AT&T to price some PDAs, I didn't go into look at the Iphone, I THOUGHT it was too expensive at $500. I talked to the lady there, Michelle did a nice job explaining everything to me. I found that the PDAs cost between $350-$450. She explained all of the features and they sounded like good pieces of electronics that would work for my purposes. She also explained that I would be paying a monthly service fee of at least $39.99 a month. That fee was over what I am now paying to AT&T.

Now here is where it gets interesting. Michelle said, "have you considered the Iphone." I said, "No, no, I can't spend that much money." I said this basically because my wife was standing next to me and I wanted to score some points. Then Michelle proceded to explain to me that the fee to use the Iphone was only $20 a month. After some quick math I came up with the fact that the Iphone service would save me $240 a year just in service charges. Over the course of let's just say three years I would save $720. Now the Iphone does cost between $50-$150 more than an adequate PDA but if you subtract that from $720 you get a savings of between $570-$670 just to purchase the Iphone and use it the next three years.

Now before you say, Jamesy, this is just your fancy way of justifying your purchase, I just want you to remember that facts are facts. Using the Iphone over the next three years will save me hundreds of dollars. I will be able to organize my time more effectively, and my wife not only gets a great new phone, which I just got in the mail from Cingular in March, but she will also be the recipient of my 30 GB video Ipod. In the end everyone wins.

6 comments

  1. Melissa B // September 1, 2007 at 5:18 AM  

    Why is it when "everyone wins" the wife always gets the "gently used items?" Hmmmmmm???

    But if she isn't interested I will take the IPOD :)

  2. bryan vickery // September 1, 2007 at 5:28 AM  

    ouch... i think melissa's got you in a corner! :o)

    i will say that as frustrated as i've been with my Q phone, i'd be lost without the day planner. the i-phone looks pretty sweet... hopefully they've got the kinks worked out of it, otherwise you'll be saying, "i payed HOW MUCH for this thing?!?!?"

  3. Pink is God's // September 1, 2007 at 7:14 AM  

    Hey Melissa, it seems to me that you are the one driving around in the nice black new car. I even saw you drive Aaron to the golf course in it yesterday. Do you even let him drive that thing?

  4. Melissa B // September 1, 2007 at 2:24 PM  

    Oh, you got me on that one.... but to be completely fair that is the "family car" and I have received plenty of the second hand electronics.

  5. Anonymous // September 1, 2007 at 7:01 PM  

    How do you spell rationalize in Indiana?

    J-A-M-E-S

  6. Pink is God's // September 1, 2007 at 8:34 PM  

    How do you spell jealous in Michigan?
    M-A-T-T