Thursday is a BIG DAY!

Posted by Pink is God's | 6:37 PM | 1 comments »

I have coached about 15 different teams over the past 10 years. I have never had a season in which the team I've coached has lost every game, match, or event. Thursday is the biggest sporting event in my coaching history. My golf girls, who have improved by about 25 strokes over the course of this season, have told me that the only team they beat last season was the team we are playing on Thursday. In a way I am scared.
Then something unexpected happened today. I was going through my pre-match speech and I said a line that I have said before every match so far this season. "You can't control how others treat you, but you can control how you treat other people." I've said this before every match because my girls have a tendency to decide if they are going to like playing for that day based on whether the other girls are "nice" or "mean". Anyway, the unexpected thing that happened today was that after I said my pre-match quote one of my girls said, "Coach, I think that is what I've learned most this golf season." I was happy! Yeah, she could have said, "along with everything else I have learned from you coach, about golf, life, everything, I'm gonna remember to treat people right too." But she didn't. But if all they take from this season is treating people with love I think I'll take that.

1 comments

  1. Cari // September 5, 2007 at 6:39 AM  

    It is a rare moment when you find out that something you are trying to teach is actually being learned. And what a great thing to be learned!