Drive-Thru Madness!

Posted by Pink is God's | 11:43 AM | 5 comments »


Today, yet again, I was stuck behind someone in a drive-thru. Let me exagerate just a touch and say this: There is nothing more narcisitic than someone who decides that going through the drive-thru with a humongous order is appropriate. I was at Starbucks today and got behind a single gentleman who was waiting at the drive-thru window for way too long! I told Tonya that he had to be ordering for everyone in his office THRU THE DRIVE-THRU!!! And sure enough he was handed out, after 15 minutes, his several drinks, all ventis by the way. I guess the reason I look at this as narcisitic is because he could have gone in and just had them made inside instead of waiting and making everyone wait around him for a half hour. Why don't people think?!? I have decided that I must think for them so here they are my rules for the drive-thru. They will be put into different categories so here goes:

Category #1--Starbucks
Rule #1--If you are ordering more than two drinks you must not use the drive-thru.
Rule #2--If you are ordering two high maintenance drinks you must not use the drive-thru.
Rule #3--If you are a regular at Starbucks and have the menu memorized then know what you want to order when you pull up the the microphone.
Rule #4--Make sure you give at least a 10% tip if you are using this convenience of a drive-thru at Starbucks. It is amazing that you can get a custom drink that has not been sitting around for 20-30 minutes as quick as they can get it to you. The tip should never be under $.50.

Category #2--Burger King, Taco Bell, Arby's, and any other Fast Food drive-thru besides McDonalds or KFC (See Categories #3 and #4 below).
Rule #1--If you are ordering for more than four people you must not use the drive-thru.
Rule #2--If you are ordering all high maintenance sandwiches you must not use the drive-thru.
Rule #3--Make a list, if you know what everyone wants to eat before you get to the window that's great, when the order taker says, "What would you like to order?" you won't have to say, "Can you give me a few minutes?"
Rule #4--If you are odering more than two meals make sure they are value meals so you only have to give the order taker numbers. Avoid four meals that are pieced together, it only confuses an otherwise easy drive-thru experience.

Category #3--McDonalds

Rule #1--If you are ordering for more than eight people you must not use the drive-thru. We all know that McDonalds has all kinds of food just sitting under those handy dandy heat lamps just ready to be thrown into a bag.
Rule #2--If you are ordering more than four high maintenance sandwiches you must not use the drive-thru. We all know that McDonalds has the man power to get you your hot and tasty high maintenance sandwiches.
Rule #3--Make a list (See Category #2, Rule #3 above)
Rule #4--To order drive through at McDonalds you must always order by meal number. McDonalds employees will not understand what you are talking about if you try to order a-la-carte from their establishment. One adendum to this rule is if you are ordering from the $1 menu. You may order from the $1 menu but you must not order more than six items from this menu.
Category #4--KFC

Rule #1--Anything goes at KFC! They have enough finger licking chicken to choke a donkey under their warmers. They can pack it up for you lick-ity-split. They have the sides all warm waiting to put into their styrofoam packages as soon as you spit the order out of you mouth.

I hope you have enjoyed and will follow the above guidelines next time you are in the drive-thru. If you have any concerns about these rules please comment and I will make sure and ignore you altogether.

5 comments

  1. Derek Chalfant // January 14, 2008 at 1:22 PM  

    I have found that at times when they are busy and more than 4 or 5 cars, it is quicker to go inside. Drive-Thru etiquite (SP) is a thing of the past or maybe it never exsisted.

  2. bryan vickery // January 14, 2008 at 4:48 PM  

    youre not making any sense

  3. Anonymous // January 14, 2008 at 7:43 PM  

    I think that there should be a waiver for Families of 5 or more with Children under the age of 12. Do to the lagistics of moving the Kids in and out of the restraunt carring food. You are just asking for a spillage path from and to the car. Trust me I have been there and still doing that. The kids have been trained to use the numbers.

  4. Cari // January 15, 2008 at 5:17 AM  

    I agree with Brian. With 6 in our family we would rarely get to use the drive thru with your rules. And at McDonald's, we always use the dollar menu, that is the way we can afford to go out. But, in my defense, I can be pretty quick about ordering, nothing too fancy and I pretty much have my family's McDonald's order memorized...same things...every time...

  5. Tucker // January 25, 2008 at 11:35 PM  

    This is AMERICA I can order WHAT I want WHEN I want and you need to take a Valium!
    If I want to change my mind three times I will change my mind three times. That's Life! :-{)