Let Me Make One Thing Clear

Posted by Pink is God's | 4:39 PM | 2 comments »

After my last post I feel that I need to clarify what my feeling are concerning Brian McLaren and the Emergent Movement. So here goes:

Emergent leaders have a tendency to sacrifice truth for "love". I put love in quotes because it really isn't love at all if you are deceiving people by hiding the truth from them. Let me give you an example: If someone comes and asks me as a pastor what our church's view on homosexuality is I would lovingly give them the truth. I would state that homosexuality in any form is a sin and that I am not the one that made that rule, it was God. Then I would explain to them that I am not saying that other things are not a sin. People are encouraged to attend and grow in the church. People are not encouraged to attend and corrupt the church. People who regularly lie in the church will be spoken to by the leadership, people who regularly gossip in the church will be spoken to by church leadership, people who speak unlovingly regularly about others people, whoever they may be will be spoken to by church leadership, people who are living an openly gay lifestyle and are attending the church will be spoken to by church leadership. Any and all of these sins plus a multitude of others, done in regularity in one's lifestyle, will be approached and disciplined if necessary by church leadership.

Our problem isn't dealing with homosexuality in the church, it's our inability to deal with all sins that become a lifestyle for a person in the church, with counsel and discipline.

2 comments

  1. bryan vickery // January 10, 2008 at 7:25 PM  

    Your right. The Bible's standards for church discipline are often much higher and more rigid than the standard of the church.

    I think it begins with a statement you made in your post about having a correct understanding of what it means to love people.

  2. Cari // January 11, 2008 at 8:31 AM  

    Ok, I have tried like 3 or 4 times to type up just how much I agree with you on this, but each time it gets way too long and could be it's own blog...lol. So, just let me say, I totally agree with you. I am really tired of the way the world is calling sins just lifestyle choices and we Christ followers are wrong for thinking otherwise.